Here is a spicy sample of top five office favorites this fall season.
Where you can lose yourself among corn fields, and buy unique gourds, pumpkins, and IPad-sized eggplants all in one location. The Corn Maze took us 25 minutes. How long will it take you?
Tired of the pumpkin carving mess? So are we. We’re dying to paint our pumpkins with chalkboard paint.
What’s better than making homemade apple pie, apple cider, and apple butter? Picking your own apples from a property of over 10 square foot miles with over 10 farms.
Discovering the caves in Bronson Canyon is the ideal ominous outdoor activity.
5. LA Spice’s Fall Soup Recipe –
Not only are pumpkins fun to decorate, but they are high in Vitamin A as well.
Chef’ Joachim’s Favorite Pumpkin and Apple Soup
(makes four servings)
1 1/2 pounds pumpkin, cut in one inch cubes
3/4 pound Fuji apples, peeled and cut in one inch cubes
1/2 coarsely chopped medium onion
1 bay leaf
1 medium fennel bulb, cored and cut into thin wedges
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 cups of water
Garnish: toasted pecans, marjoram leaves, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large saucepan add 3 cups of water. Turn the stove to high heat. Mix in the chopped onion, bay leaf and pumpkin. After the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer until the pumpkin is tender (20 minutes).
2. Meanwhile on a large baking sheet, coat the fennel and apple with the extra virgin olive oil. Flavor with salt and pepper and toss well. Roast for 25 minutes or until tender and browning.
3. Take the bay leaf out from the soup. Puree the roasted apples and pumpkin mixture in a blender until smooth. Return to saucepan and warm over low heat. Stir in butter and salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Serve in pumpkin serving bowls and garnish with pecans and marjoram leaves.
Recipe for a pumpkin serving bowl –
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens Grilled Pumpkin Bowl with Veggies recipe
1. Cut off the top 1/4 of the pumpkin & discard tops
2. Scoop pulp and seeds
3. Place cut sides down in 3-quart rectangular baking dish
4. Add 2 tbsps. water
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-45 min/until tender